Re: [opensuse-factory] New Tumbleweed snapshot 20200220 released! - hanging update of an older system!
On 24. 02. 20, 6:50, Thorsten Kukuk wrote:
On Sun, Feb 23, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:

No. What is being stubbornly ignored here - no user who reported this
problem did consciously modify this file.

Which is wrong. RPM is checking the checksum of that file, and the checksum
is not lying. This users did modify this file, maybe not implicit, but
then by using YaST and making changes to it. Like configuring NIS.

It's actually not that wrong. It's not only configuring NIS. And even if
it were, it doesn't matter, people shouldn't care about changed
underlying files at all.

If you don't exactly know what you are doing does not mean that you are
not doing it.

That is what "consciously" means in the above sentence, IMO.

Looking at the nth report of the same, whoever introduced this state,
should fix it. No matter how /etc/nsswitch.conf was modified, an update
shall not break a working system. Period. If it does, _we_ failed, not
them. And if we keep repeating "you did update the file, handle it", we
are only losing users, right?

/me neither changed /etc/nsswitch.conf manually and I had to fix this
mess up. If yast or some %post script did it, OK, so what -- should I
fix it? Not at all, the update should as I am using high-level tools
like yast. If we are to modify files anyway, we can drop yast completely
as it becomes useless.

If this is not resolved properly, I vote for reverting the change in
Tumbleweed, so that it does not propagate any further. Especially to Leap.

regards,
--
js
suse labs