Re: [opensuse-factory] Recent issues with Waybar
On Wed, 2020-01-29 at 11:41 +0000, Michael Aquilina wrote:
$ /usr/bin/waybar
/usr/bin/waybar: symbol lookup error: /usr/bin/waybar: undefined
symbol: _ZNK6spdlog6logger10should_logENS_5level10level_enumE

Compiling waybar myself from source results in a waybar binary that works.

My instinct tells me that waybar is not being rebuilt on opensuse when
it's relevant dependencies are upgraded which causes linking issues.

Is this a correct assumption? Is there something misconfigured on the
waybar package?
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/openSUSE:Factory/waybar

This is correct - we rebuild packages only when they become
uninstallable (a library changing ABI is supposed to change its so-
version, to indicate it is not backwards compatible; then we can catch
it and rebuild things relying on this library)

If there is a library known to keep on breaking like this (and upstream
not willing to address it), then waybar could claim in the spec file
that it wants to have the same version present on the system for
runtime as it had during build time (again, on version changes of the
library, that would resolve in a broken dependency which we catch and
trigger a rebuild)

For the short term, I triggered a rebuild for wayland in
openSUSE:Factory, so that the issue should at least be masked for
snapshot 0129.

Cheers,
Dominique