Re: Fwd: [opensuse-factory] Default browser: chromium?
On 20/09/2019 20:07, David C. Rankin wrote:
On 09/19/2019 11:01 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
Hi,

Let the flamewar begin!

No really I was now watching the people rightfully complaining I've
sent a borked chromium to latest TW snapshot and was wondering how
popular the browsers are and whether we should not set the chromium
instead of firefox as default or to keep them both on the dvd tested...

In order to even start some process lets all vote in a poll for what is
your default browser between the two (yes yes you can use the Vivaldi
or even w3m, but honestly the chromium or ff are the two used by the
majority of the people around).

So if I could get you to vote in my lovely poll:
https://doodle.com/poll/nnn53kkryghdvc84

I will make the results hidden so people won't start to game the system
too much and the results will be announced here at the beginning of the
October.

Cheers

Tom

This is why using external polling sites is insidious, multiple ad engines
just waiting to grab your whatever unique identifier it can make of your
browser to track you until the grave.

See: https://susepaste.org/58375287

This is also the prime example of why Chromium should NOT be a default browser
with it deprecating the Web-Engine that allows blocker like uBlock and
NoScript to work. Mozilla will continue with the Web-Engine interface to
support the 3rd party privacy extensions, Chromium (Chrome) will not.

In case my poll vote wasn't counted because I refused to allow all the
ad-related javascript to run:

[X] Maintain Firefox as the default.

The poll does not ask which browser is to be kept as the default for the
distribution. It asks, which one do you use as default. In other words,
more often than the other.

For example, I would prefer Firefox to stay the default regardless (with
or without Chromium on the LIVE CD), but I voted for Chromium because I
care about it always working much more (because I use it more).

And for all the people who cannot allow 'the evil Javascript' I suggest
to make a small donation for manual processing of your vote to the poll
author.

--
Regards,
Oleksii Vilchanskyi