Re: [opensuse-factory] Lock grades for zypper
  • From: Mykola Krachkovsky <w01dnick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2019 20:43:49 +0300
пʼятниця, 20 вересня 2019 р. 19:55:03 EEST Carlos E. R. написано:
Just install them into /usr/local prefix, it's standard, already in the
$PATH before /usr/bin and its purpose for software from non-repo sources,
like building from source files.

I thought that /usr/local is for installation without rpm.

Yeah, that would be more correct.

e. Lock to prevent removal but upgrade/downgrade is allowed

Example? Why it's proposed for removal while it's in repositories?

Maybe because it is superseded by something else.

If something needs it, then this should be resolved by conflict.

I install things without rpm. Some I compile myself.

And correct way to install them into /usr/local. But in any case zypper
doesn't know about it, it's not in rpm db, zypper can't use it for dependency
solving, making rpm — easiest way to do so. OBS for open-source and easy to
keep once built for several hosts and might be useful for others. If it's a
proprietary code, it's possible to make rpm locally.

5 | calibre | package | (any)

I install without rpm, directly from upstream.

Why just don't keep it in OBS?

6 | cdrkit-cdrtools-compat | package | (any)

Distro wanted to install it, instead of proper cdrtools.

I can't find this in standard tumbleweed repository…

7 | pk-update-icon | package | (any)

Not in repository too.

8 | plymouth | package | (any)

I just removed it.

9 | rekall | package | (any)
10 | rekall-examples | package | (any)
11 | rekall-mysql | package | (any)

No longer in distro, to prevent removal.

12 | smapi | package | (any)

Mine, obsolete. Prevent removal.

Again, I'd created home repos to keep them.

13 | tracker-miner-thunderbird | package | (any)

Broken, do not want it.

Where did you get it from?

14 | wodim | package | (any)

Do not want it.

It's not there...

You see, under the same name (lock) some prevent removal, some prevent
installation. It is confusing.

So this just to make it easier to read? I can't see a point for this
difference from zypper, apart from "allow to update but prevent removing",
this might be useful, though I don't remember I needed it.

--
Kind regards,
Mykola Krachkovsky