Re: [opensuse-factory] Lock grades for zypper
  • From: Mykola Krachkovsky <w01dnick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2019 17:50:18 +0300
пʼятниця, 20 вересня 2019 р. 10:30:10 EEST H.Merijn Brand написано:
Short question: are there different kinds of locks available for zypper?

Here are some of the reasons I see for adding locks with zypper al.

1. I do not want software installed on my system:

Regular `zypper al x` while x is uninstalled. I'm keeping gnome-keyring
uninstalled this way.

2. I do not want an installed version to be upgraded/updated

Again, regular lock. It wouldn't be changed.

3. I do not want some software to be removed

If this software isn't updated from anywhere... then regular lock would help.

4. I don't want manually added rpm's to be replaced with rep rpm's

Create local repository as was mentioned.

5. Stuff I build from source

Just install them into /usr/local prefix, it's standard, already in the $PATH
before /usr/bin and its purpose for software from non-repo sources, like
building from source files.

6. Stuff that would conflict with stuff I build from source

If they still conflict in different prefixes, just uninstall and lock. Did I
miss something?

7. Old versions of software needed for off-repo rpm's

Again, regular lock, as this stuff wouldn't updated, would it?

So, there are different reasons for locking and IMHO there should be
different levels of it

a. Lock to prevent installation
b. Lock to update/upgrade
c. Lock to downgrade
d. Lock to prevent removal
Regular lock

e. Lock to prevent removal but upgrade/downgrade is allowed
Example? Why it's proposed for removal while it's in repositories?

f. Lock to prevent installation/removal from repo's but make zypper
aware that it is installed anyway and ignore further dependencies
on this product (like the above git example)
Usually I make package in home subrepository in OBS for this stuff, it's not
that hard if you are already building them from sources.
Local & home (sub)repositories allows you to keep zypper aware of software
you've installed, calculate dependencies and also you can manage repository
priorities.

On my laptop I now have 59 locks, and on my workstations 51 and 41

Opinions?

Too many locks. I prefer to manage repositories and keep fewer locks (one for
gnome-keyring, I've mentioned). But it's personal taste I think.

--
Kind regards,
Mykola Krachkovsky