Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: Problems reading Video DVDs

Am 06.09.19 um 11:16 schrieb Berthold Höllmann:
Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@xxxxxxx> writes:

On Friday 2019-09-06 09:24, Dave Plater wrote:

On 06/09/2019 09:19, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

On Friday 2019-09-06 09:17, Dave Plater wrote:

Try using dd_rhelp on the dvd, it is a persistent form of dd_rescue and
doesn't

ddrescue is GNU ddrescue and does not have the problems of dd_rescue
that the bolt-on solution dd_rhelp tries to work around ;-)

But it does display the start and endpoints of the dvd.

What is that even supposed to mean?
As far as /dev/sr0 is concerned, is starts at 0KB and ends at
whatever the kernel interface makes it to be; from this,
both dd_rescue and ddrescue can show the size (not that that's useful
when the block device yields 1GB while a raw read yields 6GB)

I prefer watching video DVDs by first creating an ISO file (UDF
filesystem data (version 1.5)) on disk and using the ISO file with
mplayer.

For some time I simply used 'cat'. Because I do this quite often, and
sometimes the discs are scratched I wrote a script the first uses
'mplayer' to unlock the DVD drive for reading the encrypted and then
uses 'ddrescue -b 2048 -r 1 -v /dev/sr0 out.iso mapfile' and more
forward and backward scans of the disc utilizing 'mapfile' in an attempt
to rescue more of the content from scratched discs. It did work quite
nice for some time (I think the script is from 2015) for lots of discs,
but got worse and worse in the last few months. And no, ddrescue does
not work on encrypted discs prior to using libdvdcss2 on the disc
(mplayer has to run every time the DVD drive slide has closed, before
any kind of success is achieved using dd, readcd, or ddrescue).

only as a hint:

ok, its maybe very unusual but:
you wrote you have tested 2 dvd-drives, and exchanged also cable. ok
so could it be possible that you have 2 bad drives?
have you tested the drives in another computer?
you know murphy?
i have had last month different broken parts at same time.
i gave up and spend a lot of money >2500€ to by complete new hardware.
after new hardware arrived, with this new hardware i figured out
what was really the problem. one external video converter for 25€
AND a harddrive for 85€ (it was a little more complex because
there where 2 harddrives involved and its a special-closed-linux-system,
without access to the system for users/customers)
:-((((((

simoN

--
www.becherer.de