Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: Problems reading Video DVDs

On Wednesday 2019-09-04 23:16, Berthold Höllmann wrote:

Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@xxxxxxx> writes:

On Wednesday 2019-09-04 18:17, Berthold Höllmann wrote:

I did replace the cable now, but that did not fix the problem. I guess
it has to do with libdvdread4 or libdvdcss2, I can burn DVD+RW and
successfully read the burned data with the same drive.

Well if that is your guess, then you can just copy the DVD
with /usr/bin/readcd or /usr/bin/ddrescue to a file,
and then the same problem should occur with said file.

Good point. So it is not the libraries, I can open images of DVD Video
disks and view the content using vlc and mplayer.

Trying to generate the images on this machine aborts dd_rescue finds
only 1073 MBytes, but I can read 4.3GB from DVD+RW disks. What else
could be wrong here?

1073741824 = 1024^3

This value does not appear in the CHS and LBA limitations of bygone generations
of computer hardware.

But it is a value that .VOB files on DVDs generally do not exceed.
In other words, it does not appear you are copying the disc as a whole entity;
instead, you are erroneously copying just one file that contains only part of
the entire feature.