Re: [opensuse-factory] employ zypper to notify about .rpmnew (was: New Tumbleweed snapshot 20190822 released!)
Hello,

Am Sonntag, 25. August 2019, 14:57:44 CEST schrieb Carlos E. R.:
On Saturday, 2019-08-24 at 22:31 +0200, Olaf Hering wrote:
On Sat, Aug 24, Oleksii Vilchanskyi wrote:
Obviously, nobody can remember to manually run a program to check
for
.rpmnew every upgrade. Can zypper notify about this at the end
automatically? The only reference I found googling "zypper notify
about rpmnew" was [0] with a broken link to openFATE. Was it ever
implemented?>
Implementing this would be a waste of manpower, given that /etc
should not be polluted anymore by packages. File a bug to get the
affected package fixed to not pollute /etc (and hopefully also
/usr/etc!).
And how will that help when the defaults change?

Ie, we have installed version 1.1.1, and have /usr/etc/someconfig. We
get an update to 1.1.2, which overwrites /usr/etc/someconfig, which
has a single line changed to another default, which happens to modify
the behaviour of the tool significantly, without the admin getting

As a sidenote - if such a change reallly happens in a minor release,
then please blame whoever did it. Minor releases shouldn't do such
changes.

any hint that there was a modification applied, because now there are
no .rpm* files to compare to.

Fine, fine improvement! :-(

Actually there isn't a real change - as long as you didn't modify a
config file, rpm will silently replace it without leaving a *.rpmsave or
*.rpmnew behind. You'll get these files only if the packaged file
changed _and_ you modified the file _and_ it is marked as a config file.

If there was indeed an incompatible change, something has to
transform the old config to the new config in some way. I think
there are ways to show notifications at the end of an upgrade, this
feature is used every now and then.

Zypper might compare (diff) the old and the new config and highlight
the changes, or just say that there are changes.

That would be a feature request which probably needs quite some
implementation time, and becomes less useful once we have the default
config moved to /usr/etc/.

I have to admit that I often dreamed of a "zypper diff" command to find
out in which way a config file was modified (compared to the packaged
config), but moving the defaults to /usr/etc/ and having only the local
"overrides" in /etc/ makes even more sense IMHO, and avoids the mixup of
packaged default config and admin-modified parts.

Nevertheless, a (more or less) quick solution might be to add a hook in
/usr/lib/zypp/plugins/commit that calls rpmconfigcheck and displays its
output. (Unfortunately creating a symlink to rpmconfigcheck there
doesn't work, so you'll need to look into the details of how zypper
handles plugins to get this done.)

Sometimes there is a
.rpm* identical to the active file, waste of time.

Yeah, I remember such cases, and agree that it shouldn't happen.
At least diffing to the active file is easy in such cases ;-)

Regards,

Christian Boltz
--
Direkter Mailkontakt mit dem Paketmacher. Tränen, Gewaltandrohnung,
knappe Unterwäsche - als nix genützt. Abgelehnt.