Re: [opensuse-factory] employ zypper to notify about .rpmnew (was: New Tumbleweed snapshot 20190822 released!)
On 24/08/2019 22:31, Olaf Hering wrote:
On Sat, Aug 24, Oleksii Vilchanskyi wrote:

Obviously, nobody can remember to manually run a program to check for
.rpmnew every upgrade. Can zypper notify about this at the end
automatically? The only reference I found googling "zypper notify about
rpmnew" was [0] with a broken link to openFATE. Was it ever implemented?

Implementing this would be a waste of manpower, given that /etc should
not be polluted anymore by packages. File a bug to get the affected
package fixed to not pollute /etc (and hopefully also /usr/etc!).

If there was indeed an incompatible change, something has to transform
the old config to the new config in some way. I think there are ways to
show notifications at the end of an upgrade, this feature is used every
now and then.

When I wrote this I meant something really simple and without separate
/etc in mind, a-la

system("rpmconf -t -o <list of upgraded packages>");

And then just inform the user, e.g.:

"The following packages have RPM configuration files that require merging:
package1
package2

To merge configuration files of one package, run `rpmconf -o
<package-name>`. To merge all configuration files, run `rpmconf -a`."

IIUC when there is an incompatible change, the new config is installed
anyway, and the old one is saved in .rpmsave.