Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: please someone help with SR#711379
On Mon, Jul 1, 2019 at 4:06 AM Bernhard M. Wiedemann
<bernhardout@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 01/07/2019 07.31, Simon Lees wrote:

If you have examples of "bureaucracy" that you think could be reduced or
removed this list is the place to discuss them, although this thread was
about a bot blocking a certain style rather then causing someone
significantly more effort.

I remember some years ago kkaempf told the story how he packaged
something to build for both Fedora and openSUSE. Fedora accepted the
package, openSUSE didnt - because there were some (possibly
openSUSE-only) macros that "could have been used".

So by striving to have uniform, easy-to-maintain packages we get less
packages. And less packagers, too.

In the first couple of years of my packaging software for openSUSE
(2015-2017), that happened to me too. I almost stopped because of it.
It wasn't that my specs were ugly or didn't conform to the style
guides or didn't following the informational guidelines. It was that I
used cross-distro methods to package software rather than leveraging
openSUSE-specific macros. I do this because I'm maintaining almost
identical specs across distributions, and it's a lot easier for me to
keep things up to date if the mechanics of them are the same across
the board. Part of this is also because I rely on my fedmsg and Red
Hat Bugzilla notifications from release-monitoring.org to let me know
when to update stuff, and then I update everywhere (Fedora, Mageia,
and openSUSE).

That seems to have leveled off a bit lately, except with Python and
Ruby modules. The latter *must* be packaged differently because
openSUSE is grossly incompatible with everyone else for Ruby
packaging, and the former is because portable packaging is not
permitted unless there's something broken with the openSUSE-style
singlespec for that package or there's no real point to doing it that
way (like if it only works for one version of Python, as an example).