Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: Re: Running YaST-Control-Center without root

On 26/04/2019 02.59, Stasiek Michalski wrote:

On pią, Apr 26, 2019 at 2:52 AM, badshah400@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Thu, 2019-04-25 at 21:22 +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:
 On 25/04/2019 10.19, Ancor Gonzalez Sosa wrote:
Just a note here. In some cases, asking the password only at
the end (when writing configuration) would make sense. But in
general is not that simple. YaST is an interactive tool and, as
such, it performs several tasks that would need root permission
in several points of the user interaction. E.g. installing some
package that is required to continue, reading some protected
configuration, adjusting the firewall to be able to explore the
network, starting or stopping a service, refreshing the list of
repos...

Being able to fire up YaST and do some configuration work, then
at the end see it asking for the root password could be nasty
surprise if the user doesn't have it. After all the work, not
being able to continue... At least he should get told at the
start that to save changes he needs the root password.

This can possibly be done by an info box when a particular module
starts up, I guess, though I can't imagine how any user would simply
assume that they would be able to apply changes to root
configuration/filesystem without requiring some kind of privilege
escalation.

I would assume that for administrator user (as in wheel user), we could
assume that they have a root password (or their own, depending on wheel
config), for non-wheel, they should get a pop-up, considering they
shouldn't probably even be touching that stuff to begin with.

As user in a machine where I was not root, I tried more than once to
*look* at how things were done in order to learn and then do them at my
own computer back home.

But that would require working wheel ;)

LCP [Stasiek]
https://lcp.world