Re: [opensuse-factory] Running YaST-Control-Center without root
  • From: Knurpht-openSUSE <knurpht@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2019 22:29:15 +0200
Op woensdag 24 april 2019 20:46:47 CEST schreef Wolfgang Bauer:
Am Mittwoch, 24. April 2019, 20:09:04 schrieb Stasiek Michalski:
On śro, Apr 24, 2019 at 8:05 PM, Wolfgang Bauer <wbauer@xxxxxx> wrote:
or run `sudo -E yast --qt`

Sure, or use "su -", xdg-su, kdesu, gnomesu... ;-)

Btw, kdesu can be configured to use sudo instead, in which case it would
follow the sudo config which would also allow to ask it the *user* password
instead.
But I guess that's getting off-topic now.... ;-)

Although, installer's default is also to have root have the same
password as
user, which makes me question security of that policy ;)

As I see it, that's a compromise to ease the life of "simple" users.
Like the default ("easy") polkit settings, that allow users to install
updates (not new packages) via PackageKit without entering the root
password.

OTOH, exactly that also can cause confusion if that "simple" user changes
their password afterwards.

Personally, I still prefer that strict differentiation between a/the user
and root as well though.

Couldn't agree more. Not based on sheer technical reasoning, but on
experiences..... If I install on someone else's machines, I create a
'beheerder' ( dutch for admin ) account, use that to bring everything to
'complete', then let the user use his creds to use the desktop. If they need a
DE to accomplish admin tasks the can use that account without changing
settings in their own.

Kind Regards,
Wolfgang

--