Re: [opensuse-factory] Hiding grub prompt when previous boot is successful and when only one OS is installed

On wto, Apr 23, 2019 at 4:36 PM, Daniel Morris <danielm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 03:56:50PM +0200, Stasiek Michalski wrote:

On wto, Apr 23, 2019 at 3:38 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
<adrian.glaubitz@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 4/23/19 3:28 PM, Stasiek Michalski wrote:
> > GRUB is mostly pointless in scenarios where OS boots fine and only
> > one OS is
> > installed in graphical session. It would be nice to hide it.
>
> Why? If you have just one operating system installed, you can just
> hibernate
> your machine anyway and don't have to reboot the machine at all.

You need to reboot for updates/upgrades (which in case of Tumbleweed are
just like updates ;) ) If I didn't restart as much as I do, I wouldn't
be suggesting this change :P

Why don't you just hide GRUB and/or set the timeout to 0? Zero patches,
zero wait.

You will have to remember the sequence to interrupt it for those odd
times you want to pass flags to the kernel, rollback etc. - and be
quick-on-the-draw :)

I've found a 1 second timeout is a happy medium, and doesn't detract
from the normal/fast boot sequence for family I've transitioned.

Eh, I guess I should have better explained it, GRUB requires graphical
mode to be loaded before Linux is initialized, which causes needless
flickering and such. Not loading GRUB at all for users and usecases
where they don't need it would be a great solution in that case.

LCP [Stasiek]
https://lcp.world