Re: [opensuse-factory] Friendly warning: Python 2 is going to be removed from Factory on 2020-01-02
Andrei Dziahel píše v Út 16. 04. 2019 v 00:48 +0300:
I see. Does it mean Mercurial package goes away as well?

Short answer is YES.

There is longer answer. I am really sorry about it. Mercurial is
one of the biggest disappointments for me in this whole saga.
Whatever I think about it (and I don't use it anywhere), it is
obvious that it is very important program and even more important
format. I am quite certain there are zillion of lines of code
stored in Mercurial repositories of both open source and
proprietary programs, there were parts of Python 3 development
which were specifically tailored for it (bytes formatting in
Python 3.3, I believe), and yet no company owning those lines of
code managed to put down enough cash to make that port happen.
Mozilla, Oracle, Facebook all have huge repositories with their
flagship products in Mercurial and yet AFAIK porting efforts are
now in state "testsuite almost passes" (I may be mistaken, I hope
I am mistaken, it was some time when I looked).

I still hope the port will be finished and at least some barely
functional Python3 version will be available, but we certainly
don't have resources (and frankly, interest) in doing so
ourselves.

For users it is I believe the final call: get out of Mercurial
NOW, so poorly supported program couldn't be foundation of your
projects.

Best,

Matěj

--
https://matej.ceplovi.cz/blog/, Jabber: mcepl@xxxxxxxxxx
GPG Finger: 3C76 A027 CA45 AD70 98B5 BC1D 7920 5802 880B C9D8

This is a signature anti-virus.
Please stop the spread of signature viruses!