Re: [opensuse-factory] Naming policy for containers inside the distro
On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 10:22 AM Aleksa Sarai <asarai@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On 2019-04-11, Richard Brown <RBrownCCB@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 11 Apr 2019 at 15:56, Fabian Vogt <fvogt@xxxxxxx> wrote:

We're shipping podman by default in our container focused openSUSE
offerings

Yes, but the images offered are (hopefully!) not only used on openSUSE
systems.

In this case Alexa has a valid concern about namespace/repo name overlap,
which
is something we can't just ignore because "it works on openSUSE".
Containers are meant to work outside of a single environment after all.

Yes, but we shouldn't just cater to the lowest common denominator of
one less-than-ideal runtime.

That "one less-than-ideal runtime" is the most commonly used runtime.
This means that not interoperating with it defeats the point of having
our own registry (which, by the way is a *Docker* registry).

(In fact, the only runtime which supports this is libpod family, so I
would argue that they are the "odd ones out" as it were.)

But, we're getting side-tracked here. This is a discussion about naming
conventions *not* what the default registry config is going to be for
one runtime we ship (that is a separate conversation -- because
regardless of that decision we need to make sure it makes sense for
non-openSUSE users).

In that case their "podman pull fedora" would pull a fedora image from
a fedora registry, "podman pull tumbleweed" would pull TW from our
registry, and "podman pull alpine" from the docker hub.

Do you know if they're willing to make such a change? This is just going
to cause headaches when users copy-paste scripts between distros...

(Personally I think the solution to all of these headaches should've been
to make all images require the registry name -- the default registry has
caused a bunch of other unrelated headaches as well.)

Has anyone actually reached out? I can honestly say no one has asked
about this before. I personally don't see a reason why the Fedora
Container SIG[1] would have a problem working with openSUSE and having
both registries configured for Fedora's container tools, as long as it
was reciprocated in kind.

Someone just has to ask. And no, it won't be me, because I want
someone who maintains the container tooling in openSUSE to reach out
to the folks on the Fedora side. I've got enough on my plate. :)

We're all friends, stop pretending we're not. :)

[1]: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Container_SIG