[opensuse-factory] Changing distributor/distribution branding

On piÄ…, Apr 12, 2019 at 6:03 PM, Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar <dimstar@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
* Switch of the Plymouth theme to bgrt

Hi,

Thank you for assistance with that, GDM will soon be switching to displaying
Tumbleweed logo instead of openSUSE following the plymouth theme, and I hope
default openSUSE themes on other DMs will follow with placing branding logo in
that spot, just so plymouth is continuous with display managers (and preferably
SVG version as GDM, plymouth still relies on PNGs, although with recent
developments of rendering fonts through cairo, mainly for translation reasons,
this might hopefully change).

There is an obvious issue of Kubic/MicroOS sharing repo with Tumbleweed, and
with those distros it would be preferable to have own branding, which we do not
provide in any way this far. It's a big TODO on my part, suggestions welcome :D

Due to branding-openSUSE being such a big category of different packages, it
would be basically impossible to provide branding-Kubic and branding-MicroOS,
unless there was a fallback to branding-openSUSE packages, which does not
exist yet.

There is always an option to try to resolve this Fedora way, provide a package
like "{distroname}-logos" and create a mess of symlinks in directories to point
to /usr/share/pixmaps/distribution/, depend on a logos package to provide subset
of branding elements we want to replace for seperate distros.

Just thinking out loud...

The obvious reason for the distribution instead of distributor logo is
seperating identity and establishing the distros in conscience of users, just to
say there is no openSUSE distro, there are openSUSE distros called this and
that, and we are doing this cool stuff with them.

LCP [Stasiek]
https://lcp.world