Re: [opensuse-factory] Naming policy for containers inside the distro
  • From: Richard Brown <RBrownCCB@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2019 18:10:30 +0200
On Fri, 12 Apr 2019 at 16:28, Aleksa Sarai <asarai@xxxxxxx> wrote:

But I won't be taking any actions that purposefully inconvenience
docker (aka "the docker container runtime").

It's great that you feel free enough to act in that way, but it doesn't
change whether Docker is still incredibly widely used (which it is,
regardless of anyone's opinion on the project).

Parking this part of the conversation - I get where you're coming
from, and I think our difference in viewpoint is best discussed in a
more casual venue.

I will say, I think something is very wrong if you don't realise that
as an openSUSE contributor you are also free enough to act in that
way. (At work, sure, different story..you have my sympathy there).

I recognise that will work comfortably with the default registry of
that other container runtime also ;)

I think that "podman pull tumbleweed" would be totally fine -- this
would be "docker pull registry.opensuse.org/tumbleweed".

This actually makes more sense if you have the full registry name -- see
my other mail for my concerns about having registry.opensuse.org/ as a
default. But ultimately having it as a default isn't the end of the
world (though I don't really agree it's as much of an improvement as you
might think).

Fair view, but thinking as a 'lazy user', it sure is a lot of finger
work typing "registry.opensuse.org" all the darn time

Any suggestions for a nice snazzy short URL like Google have with gcr.io?

- Rich