Re: [opensuse-factory] Naming policy for containers inside the distro
  • From: Aleksa Sarai <asarai@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2019 00:27:57 +1000
On 2019-04-11, Richard Brown <RBrownCCB@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 11 Apr 2019 at 16:37, Fabian Vogt <fvogt@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Yes, but we shouldn't just cater to the lowest common denominator of
one less-than-ideal runtime.

I would say that we need to - the majority of users use docker.
Granted, I don't have any numbers to prove that, but I've seen much more
"docker pull" or "docker build" in the wild than anything else.

Let's agree to disagree there.

I will not be referencing docker (or to refer to it as the only way
Docker Inc supports "the docker container runtime") in any examples or
documentation I ever write, nor will I be contributing to any solution
that only benefits docker (aka "the docker container runtime").

But I won't be taking any actions that purposefully inconvenience
docker (aka "the docker container runtime").

It's great that you feel free enough to act in that way, but it doesn't
change whether Docker is still incredibly widely used (which it is,
regardless of anyone's opinion on the project).

If registry.opensuse.org maps the /opensuse namespace as it's default
for the purposes of people pulling from registry.opensuse.org, I don't
care how ;)

That's a misunderstanding: registry.opensuse.org does not map anything.
The containers itself contain "opensuse/tumbleweed" as name.
Every container published below the openSUSE:Containers project is published
at the registry "root", registry.opensuse.org/ as-is.

There is no such thing as a "default registry namespace" - it's a flat map
and official containers can place themselves anywhere they want to.
If we need aliases, those should be part of the container images themselves.

okay then, so no "podman pull tumbleweed" or "podman pull tumbleweed/$foo"
ever?

instead "podman pull opensuse/tumbleweed" for the Tumbleweed base
container and "podman pull opensuse/tumbleweed/$foo" for official
containers derived from Tumbleweed.

I'm okay with that.

I recognise that will work comfortably with the default registry of
that other container runtime also ;)

I think that "podman pull tumbleweed" would be totally fine -- this
would be "docker pull registry.opensuse.org/tumbleweed".

This actually makes more sense if you have the full registry name -- see
my other mail for my concerns about having registry.opensuse.org/ as a
default. But ultimately having it as a default isn't the end of the
world (though I don't really agree it's as much of an improvement as you
might think).

--
Aleksa Sarai
Senior Software Engineer (Containers)