Re: [opensuse-factory] Naming policy for containers inside the distro
On Thu, 11 Apr 2019 at 16:37, Fabian Vogt <fvogt@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Yes, but we shouldn't just cater to the lowest common denominator of
one less-than-ideal runtime.

I would say that we need to - the majority of users use docker.
Granted, I don't have any numbers to prove that, but I've seen much more
"docker pull" or "docker build" in the wild than anything else.

Let's agree to disagree there.

I will not be referencing docker (or to refer to it as the only way
Docker Inc supports "the docker container runtime") in any examples or
documentation I ever write, nor will I be contributing to any solution
that only benefits docker (aka "the docker container runtime").

But I won't be taking any actions that purposefully inconvenience
docker (aka "the docker container runtime").

I'm confused - you say kiwi doesn't support it, then agree with my
suggestion that we have it working already.

I meant that the pull commands you wrote there
("podman pull opensuse/tumbleweed"/"podman|docker pull opensuse/leap")
already work, not the aliasing to their counterpart without opensuse/.

If registry.opensuse.org maps the /opensuse namespace as it's default
for the purposes of people pulling from registry.opensuse.org, I don't
care how ;)

That's a misunderstanding: registry.opensuse.org does not map anything.
The containers itself contain "opensuse/tumbleweed" as name.
Every container published below the openSUSE:Containers project is published
at the registry "root", registry.opensuse.org/ as-is.

There is no such thing as a "default registry namespace" - it's a flat map
and official containers can place themselves anywhere they want to.
If we need aliases, those should be part of the container images themselves.

okay then, so no "podman pull tumbleweed" or "podman pull tumbleweed/$foo" ever?

instead "podman pull opensuse/tumbleweed" for the Tumbleweed base
container and "podman pull opensuse/tumbleweed/$foo" for official
containers derived from Tumbleweed.

I'm okay with that.

I recognise that will work comfortably with the default registry of
that other container runtime also ;)