Re: [opensuse-factory] Naming policy for containers inside the distro
Hi,

Am Donnerstag, 11. April 2019, 16:14:43 CEST schrieb Richard Brown:
On Thu, 11 Apr 2019 at 15:56, Fabian Vogt <fvogt@xxxxxxx> wrote:

We're shipping podman by default in our container focused openSUSE
offerings

Yes, but the images offered are (hopefully!) not only used on openSUSE
systems.

In this case Alexa has a valid concern about namespace/repo name overlap,
which
is something we can't just ignore because "it works on openSUSE".
Containers are meant to work outside of a single environment after all.

Yes, but we shouldn't just cater to the lowest common denominator of
one less-than-ideal runtime.

I would say that we need to - the majority of users use docker.
Granted, I don't have any numbers to prove that, but I've seen much more
"docker pull" or "docker build" in the wild than anything else.

My proposals work for any other distribution using any saner OCI
runtime, such as podman on Fedora, who may have registry.opensuse.org
interleaved between a Fedora registry and dockerhub in their registry
config for example.

In that case their "podman pull fedora" would pull a fedora image from
a fedora registry, "podman pull tumbleweed" would pull TW from our
registry, and "podman pull alpine" from the docker hub.

That's debatable - do we actually need a Kubic base container?
The current kubic-* containers are all using plain Tumbleweed as content,
so they would perfectly fit the "tumbleweed/$containername" description.
I'd say we would need it if we can answer this question appropriately:
What would be the difference between e.g. tumbleweed/cilium and
kubic/cilium?
If so, the answer could be the base for a definition on what "kubic/" means.

I'd be fine without a kubic/ base container or namespace, and having
all Kubic configurations/manifests referencing tumbleweed/$foo
instead.

"podman pull opensuse/tumbleweed" or "docker pull opensuse/tumbleweed"
should pull the Tumbleweed base container, from registry.opensuse.org
in podman or docker hub in docker
"podman|docker pull opensuse/leap" for leap

Technically doable, just not supported by kiwi currently - multiple tags
are allowed (additonaltags="latest,%OS_VERSION_ID%"), but not multiple
namespace/repository names.

I think the way we've done mapping with registry.opensuse.org should
work fine with that already.

Yes.

I'm confused - you say kiwi doesn't support it, then agree with my
suggestion that we have it working already.

I meant that the pull commands you wrote there
("podman pull opensuse/tumbleweed"/"podman|docker pull opensuse/leap")
already work, not the aliasing to their counterpart without opensuse/.

If registry.opensuse.org maps the /opensuse namespace as it's default
for the purposes of people pulling from registry.opensuse.org, I don't
care how ;)

That's a misunderstanding: registry.opensuse.org does not map anything.
The containers itself contain "opensuse/tumbleweed" as name.
Every container published below the openSUSE:Containers project is published
at the registry "root", registry.opensuse.org/ as-is.

Putting my suggestions all together and in other words;
I do not think there should be an 'opensuse' container, because there
is no 'opensuse' distribution

opensuse/ is just a namespace - there isn't a home base container either
just because you can pull registry.opensuse.org/home/foo/bar/baz.

I'd say as long as there is a clear definition what each namespace means, it
doesn't necessarily have to be uniform to "$base/$containername".

True, but in the opensuse/ namespace, aka the default
registry.opensuse.org namespace, aka the "official openSUSE
containers" namespace,

There is no such thing as a "default registry namespace" - it's a flat map
and official containers can place themselves anywhere they want to.
If we need aliases, those should be part of the container images themselves.

I think the $base/$containername approach is
the only reasonable one available.

Cheers,
Fabian