Re: [opensuse-factory] Naming policy for containers inside the distro
  • From: Aleksa Sarai <asarai@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2019 18:33:56 +1000
On 2019-04-10, Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk@xxxxxxx> wrote:
We can everything prefix with "opensuse" for the case, that somebody uses
registry.opensuse.org as default. But I don't see this necessary, as in this
case, images from docker hub, the normally standard registry, would get a
docker hub prefix.

Docker doesn't support changing the default registry, so you will always
see registry.opensuse.org/ anyway. I also think the "opensuse/" is quite
redundant since it's our own registry.

I would like to see for derived containers:

tumbleweed/apache
leap/apache
kubic/flannel

I think this is reasonable -- though I'm not sure if this (which is the
logical next step for having base containers):

tumbleweed -> base container
tumbleweed/apache -> derived container

is actually possible to do with stock Docker Distribution -- because the
"tumbleweed/" somewhat acts as a directory and I'm not sure if you can
publish an image with the same name as a repo.

--
Aleksa Sarai
Senior Software Engineer (Containers)