Re: [opensuse-factory] Huge single-core performance loss with spectre v2 mitigation enabled (it's the default)
On 10. 04. 19, 12:31, Michael Pujos wrote:
On 4/10/19 12:08 PM, Jiri Slaby wrote:
And it will make TW look bad in benchmarks. SOmething should be done
about it.
So spectre_v2=retpoline,generic makes the benchmarks comparable?

Yes it (expectedly) restored performance:

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/compare/12738751?baseline=12743826

spectre_v2=retpoline,generic should be the default in my opinion. If
good guys at Fedora (and other distros) are using it, so can openSUSE.

They don't even have IBRS support in their kernels AFAIR.

retpolines are not complete protection on skylake+. Coffee lake has
EIBRS which should restore the performance a bit. Perhaps, one day,
Intel will add EIBRS support also to Skylake, if possible (I don't
remember the details).

What processor model do you have?

Unless the people in charge want to murder single-core performance on
people's computers and lament why it always comes last in Phoronix (and
other) benchmarks.

We don't lament on Phoronix results. Phoronix results are mostly crap
not requiring a single comment.

thanks,
--
js