[opensuse-factory] A mystery about patterns
  • From: Alberto Planas Dominguez <aplanas@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2019 12:02:33 +0200
Hi,

I am not very knowledge about the inner details how patterns works in relation
with the metadata information of a repository.

I found a problem, there are some patterns that are not in the repodata
information [1], are not searchable via zypper se, but I am able to install
them.

More precisely:

# zypper se pattern:SUSE-MicroOS-defaults
[nothing]

# zypper se pattern:SUSE-MicroOS
Reading installed packages...

S | Name | Summary
--+-------------------------------------------
+--------------------------------+--------
| SUSE-MicroOS | openSUSE Kubic MicroOS
| pattern
| SUSE-MicroOS-apparmor | Apparmor Support
| pattern
| SUSE-MicroOS-cloud | Support for Cloud
| pattern
| SUSE-MicroOS-container-runtime | Container Runtime for non-cl->
| pattern
| SUSE-MicroOS-container-runtime-kubernetes | Container Runtime for kubern->
| pattern
| SUSE-MicroOS-hardware | Hardware Support
| pattern
| SUSE-MicroOS-ima_evm | IMA/EVM Support
| pattern
| SUSE-MicroOS-sssd_ldap | LDAP client
| pattern

SUSE-MicroOS-defaults is not listed, but note that we can find -container-
runtime-*

# zypper info pattern:SUSE-MicroOS-defaults
Reading installed packages...

Information for pattern SUSE-MicroOS-defaults:
Repository : openSUSE-20190306-0
Name : SUSE-MicroOS-defaults
Version : 4.0-15.1
Arch : x86_64
Vendor : openSUSE
Installed : Yes (automatically)
Visible to User : No
Description :
This provides default packages for MicroOS which can be optionally
replaced by alternatives.
Contents :
S | Name | Type | Dependency
--+---------------------------------+---------+-----------
i | patterns-caasp-MicroOS-defaults | package | Required
i | systemd-logger | package | Required

I am able to show the information!

Checking the repodata from [1] and reading repomd.xml to find the primary and
filelist files, I can only see a subset of patterns in there:

[...]
<rpm:entry name="weakremover(pattern:SUSE-MicroOS)"/>
<rpm:entry name="weakremover(pattern:SUSE-MicroOS-apparmor)"/>
<rpm:entry name="weakremover(pattern:SUSE-MicroOS-hardware)"/>
<rpm:entry name="weakremover(pattern:SUSE-MicroOS-ima_evm)"/>
<rpm:entry name="weakremover(pattern:SUSE-MicroOS-selinux)"/>
<rpm:entry name="weakremover(pattern:SUSE-MicroOS-sssd_ldap)"/>
[...]

So -defaults is not there, but neither are -container-runtime, that I was able
to find it with search.

Am I searching in the wrong metadata file?

Why zypper cannot find -defaults, even if I am able to install it and get
information from it?

[1] http://download.opensuse.org/tumbleweed/repo/oss/repodata/

--
SUSE Linux GmbH
Maxfeldstrasse 5

GF: Felix Imend├Ârffer, Mary Higgins, Sri Rasiah
HRB 21284 (AG N├╝rnberg)