Re: [opensuse-factory] Renaming the chromium package to chromium-browser and chromium-bsu back to chromium

On 01/04/2019 18:28, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
On Monday 2019-04-01 02:33, Simon Lees wrote:

Some time long ago back in the dark ages we allowed one of the greatest
travesties of all time take place where buy the chromium name was stolen away
from a humble arcade shooter with space ships and lasers then given to a big
ugly memory sucking corporate browser.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/chromium-bsu/

As much as I am with you on the corporate travesty part, I find it
hard to support agreement for the CBSU move.

* It is the year 2000. Internet was still on the rise. Funpics still
outweighed memes. Sourceforge still had a mandatory project review.

Someone registers "Chromium", http://sf.net/projects/chromium/ ,
in December 2000 as:
"""Chromium is a flexible framework for scalable real-time
rendering on clusters of workstations, derived from the Stanford
WireGL project code base."""

* chromium-bsu only made it onto Sourceforge on 21 January 2001,
at which point the "UNIX project name" debate was practically
over, even if CBSU existed before 2000.

* The web.archive.org search engine crawled the then-homepage
of Chromium BSU on January 24 2001, and the page presents the
project as "Chromium B.S.U.". This indicates to me that the
project had, rather quickly (within a month), accepted its name
collision fate.

On the other hand we at openSUSE expect people to "Have a lot of fun" and clearly renaming chromium-bsu to chromium will cause people to have a lot of fun the first time they run chromium after the update.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek) http://simotek.net

SUSE Linux Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30