[opensuse-factory] Announcing the plans for openSUSE Gaming distribution
Hi,

There has been some discussion about performance of our distributions in gaming
specific workflows. While it would be hard to approach every single game to fix
the abhorent performance due to sloppy steam ports to Linux, and Wine emulation
performance, we can do better by providing a distribution with tweaked
performance impacting parameters.

What does that entail? The main complaint is that Intel, being a way more popular
choice for gamers, lags behind AMD on openSUSE distributions. It would be a step
in right direction if we had kernels specific for vendor, due to large
differences between the ways they choose to build their CPUs. On top of that,
we should have versions of packages, which avoid any sort of security if it
impacts performance. All the security flags in GCC, gone, all the fixes to
Spectre and Meltdown cause major drop in performance, there is no point to keep
them for this new distribution.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=spec-melt-8way

Obviously we would need to provide beta drivers for Nvidia GPUs directly in the
distribution non-oss repos, to rebuild them every time new major kernel comes
out, so the drivers never stop working properly. On top of that, for enthusiasts
of AMD GPUs and Intel integrated, we should provide git version of mesa and
related drivers, after all gaming is so on edge, every improvement counts.

All of those changes would make openSUSE Gaming distro the most reputable and
reliable way for gamers to enjoy their games.

But, never forget about bringing some good looking branding along for the ride:

Logo:
https://i.imgur.com/XFBlEmg.png

Wallpaper (optimized for 32:9 gaming resolution):
https://i.imgur.com/22pHtiY.png
I thought bigger logo might be distracting the main message of the wallpaper, so
I kept it fairly small and in the corner

Hope you like it!
LCP [Stasiek]
The Sith Lord
https://lcp.world