Re: [opensuse-factory] /var/log/Xorg.0.log, or not (was: Don't upgrade to a 5.0.x Kernel...)
Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Dan Cermak composed on 2019-03-18 16:10 (UTC+0100):

There is no Xorg.0.log, as I don't automatically start X on boot.

I usually don't start X at boot either. All my TW installations with AMD,
Intel &
NVidia gfx generate /var/log/Xorg.#.log for every X session. Are you a Gnome
user?
None of mine have Gnome installed, or ever use Wayland.

Not really: I use i3, which I start via ~/.xinitrc as the user that logs
in, so the Xorg.log is generated after I logged in via a tty.

My problem is though, that the tty simply doesn't show up with the 5.0.x
kernel series (the screen stays blank).

However when launching it with nomodeset added, startx fails with not being
able to load the i915.ko kernel module.

nomodeset disables kernel mode setting (KMS). i915.ko depends on KMS enabled.

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/