Re: [opensuse-factory] Don't upgrade to a 5.0.x Kernel with a Dell Precision 5530
I was in a rush previously and didn't explain matters correctly:

The nomodeset setting was a temporary addition, that I added to the
cmdline of the 5.0.x kernel. If that option is absent, then kernel 5.0.x
will boot into a black screen, but 4.20.y will not. Adding nomodeset
"fixes" the black screen and I actually can get to a TTY, but X will
then not start (which makes sense, since KMS is off).

Nevertheless, something (but probably unrelated) is also off with my
Xorg config, as I *need* to have xf86-video-intel installed. Otherwise
Xorg will not start with a good (=4.20) kernel.

Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Dan Cermak composed on 2019-03-18 16:10 (UTC+0100):

/proc/cmdline:

BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-5.0.2-2.gd1f1d19-default
root=/dev/mapper/system-root
splash=silent resume=/dev/system/swap quiet mem_sleep_default=deep nomodeset

I have added the nomodeset parameter myself as Larry recomended, that gets
me to
at least to a tty.

Dan Čermák composed on 2019-03-18 17:51 (UTC+0100):

Ok, at least this mystery is solved: I removed xf86-video-intel and
now X is starting again (haven't tried with nomodeset though

nomodeset disables KMS, which all competent FOSS DDX drivers depend on, thus
is
incompatible with all competent DDX for Intel hardware.
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Nomodeset:_Work_Around_Graphic_Upgrade_%26_Installation_Obstacles

In your case that's both the modesetting DDX provided by the server, and the
optional antique xf86-video-intel.

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/