Re: [opensuse-factory] nomodeset blocks KMS & Intel DDX

I use this driver without problem on my 2018 laptop using the Intel UHD 630.
The only thing I had to do is to add "Option" "DRI" "3" to fix some
issues with the compositor (it uses DRI2 by default).
Whatever works for you. There is good reason both exist. Old Intel GFX aren't
supported by the newer technology DDX.

Optimus users at least potentially can run both GPUs on a single DDX. That
suggests a shorter code path and better performance.

xf86-video-intel gets utilized either because hardware is too old, and/or
because
openSUSE installs optional DDX drivers by default, and/or because of what
/etc/X11/xorg_pci_ids/modesetting.ids does or doesn't contain, and/or because a
user has explicitly configured it.

I have two plain HD 630 running TW and 15.1 on the upstream DDX default. Neither
of my 630 require any DRI or any other Xorg options to produce satisfactory
behavior. I didn't have to do anything more than not have the optional
xf86-video-intel installed. I do have older Intel GFX running TW that require
the
old tech DDX.

[...]

The "modesetting" driver sure works fine with my UHD 630 and uses DRI3 by default.
However, on my Optimus laptop blessed by a Quadro P600,
neither "modeseting" nor "intel" work out of the box until manually adding to Xorg config the proper BusID option
with the PCI ID of the intel adapter is required (with both drivers) else it is confused and ends up
with a black screen (nouveau and nvidia drivers are blacklisted).
And I do not even speak of the shitshow that "nouveau" is which does not work AT ALL unless the NVIDIA Card is the only
one seen by the system (Can be set in BIOS). Not that it is the Nouveau's devs fault, but the experience for new users
installing Linux on such laptop is terrible (black screen).