Re: [opensuse-factory] Today I wanted to install package asciidoc and...
  • From: Brüns, Stefan <Stefan.Bruens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2019 18:50:23 +0000
On Montag, 18. März 2019 19:05:52 CET Takashi Iwai wrote:
On Mon, 18 Mar 2019 18:49:42 +0100,

Brüns, Stefan <Stefan.Bruens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Feel free to split up the asciidoc package.

Next time, please try to cite me in a way which does not remove the complete
context. My point was, while asciidoc the program does not depend on dblatex,
asciidoc the package does.

Oh, well...

To make the situation clear: asciidoc is a package *TO BE DROPPED*,
not to maintain actively any longer. There is an alternative, like
asciidoctor (or python3 variant, which I don't know details).

While we have (rubygem-)asciidoctor, there is currently no way to generate
pdfs from asciidoc with it. asciidoctor-pdf is not in openSUSE, neither are
its dependency gems prawn and prawn-svg.

And, this "Recommends" has been present over a decade. It's nothing
new at all. If you change it, you'll certainly break something else.
That's the reason we keep it.

Thats my point. The "Recommends" should not be removed just because someone is
in the mood to do so, but the packaging would have to be redone.

Of course, this is futile, as asciidoc (the project/program) is a dead end,
even its author recommends asciidoctor now - just as you said.

If you're using asciidoc, try to switch to an alternative. If you're
working on a project that requires asciidoc, try to submit a change to
allow such an alternative. That'll be the real contribution.

*Iff* you want PDF generation, thats not so easy, asciidoc/a2x provides a
convenient solution to do so. asciidoctor-pdf does not allow importing PDF
graphics, which some projects rely on. For SVG support it needs the prawn-svg
addon.

That said, I am fully for migrating from asciidoc to asciidoctor, as asciidoc
has its own share of problems (incomplete asciidoc format support, for the
beginning), and the PDF-via-LaTeX workflow adds some more (e.g. only partial
unicode support). It definitely requires some effort to switch, though.

Kind regards,

Stefan