Re: [opensuse-factory] Don't upgrade to a 5.0.x Kernel with a Dell Precision 5530
On 3/18/19 9:55 AM, Dan Cermak wrote:
Hi Larry,

thanks for the tip, appending nomodeset did indeed work. Now I have a tty again!

X is currently not starting, due to this error:
[ 473.385] intel: waited 2020 ms for i915.ko driver to load

which I suspect is due to the nomodeset parameter.

Is there somewhere an up to date guide for building a custom kernel? I have the
linux kernel sources checked out and could try to bisect the issue.

It is quite simple. Run the following steps from your kernel source directory:

cp /boot/config-5.0.1-1-default .config
make -j9
sudo make modules_install install

Then reboot into the new kernel. The latest kernel is now at 5.1-rc1 and there is a possibility that the problem is fixed. In the "make" step, you may need to answer some questions about the configuration. Just use the default option.

Larry