Re: [opensuse-factory] Don't upgrade to a 5.0.x Kernel with a Dell Precision 5530

Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> 03/18/19 3:55 PM >>>
Dan Cermak composed on 2019-03-18 15:11 (UTC+0100):

Nope, I have blacklisted everything from Nvidia & Nouveau, so only the Intel
driver should be running.

Actually it likely shouldn't. Intel pays its Linux driver writers to put most
of
their effort into the FOSS modesetting DDX driver. The xf86-video-intel DDX
is in
maintenance mode, having had no official release since 2015.

Sorry, wrong wording: there are only Intel kernel modules loaded and no
Nvidia/Nouveau kernel modules.

Also, I tried the Tumbleweed rescue disk: that one will start booting, but
at some point the laptop screen just turns off and that's it.

Exactly how did you "blacklist" nouveau? Do it wrong, and you might block all
DDX drivers.

Like this:

$ cat /etc/modprobe.d/99-blacklist-nvidia.conf
blacklist nouveau
blacklist nvidia
blacklist nvidia_drm
blacklist nvidia_modeset

Precision 5530 is a model line, not a model. Which do you have? Better yet,
what
is output from 'inxi -Gxx' (which reports both kernel and DDX drivers, among
other
useful video info if X is running)? What does cat /proc/cmdline report?
Xorg.0.log?

inxi -Gxx reports:

Graphics: Device-1: Intel UHD Graphics 630 vendor: Dell driver: N/A bus ID:
00:02.0 chip ID: 8086:3e9b
Device-2: NVIDIA GP107GLM [Quadro P1000 Mobile] vendor: Dell driver: N/A bus
ID: 01:00.0 chip ID: 10de:1cbb
Display: tty server: X.org 1.20.4 driver: N/A tty: 227x82
Message: Advanced graphics data unavailable in console. Try -G --display

/proc/cmdline:

BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-5.0.2-2.gd1f1d19-default root=/dev/mapper/system-root
splash=silent resume=/dev/system/swap quiet mem_sleep_default=deep nomodeset

I have added the nomodeset parameter myself as Larry recomended, that gets me
to at least to a tty.

There is no Xorg.0.log, as I don't automatically start X on boot. However when
launching it with nomodeset added, startx fails with not being able to load the
i915.ko kernel module.