Simon Lees <sflees@xxxxxxx> wrote:

That indeed would be nice, but I don't think its really possible without
writing another reference shell (or forking an existing one to remove
features until we get close enough). However there exists checkers that
catch most if not all of the common errors and having them setup in the
build process to do the majority of testing automatically (so in general
packagers need to do nothing) seems like a better approach, then in case
someone really wants to argue semantics we can point them to does the
script run in bash and dash, if yes its acceptable if not its not for
example.

bosh comes with a fine grained #ifdef structure that allows to compile it to
behave like the Solaris SVr4 based Bourne Shell up to the POSIX variant with
all it's enhencements, so this is nothing you need to invent or develop just
for this purpose.

Check the Makefile for explanations.

Jörg

--