On 13/03/2019 17:10, Stephan Kulow wrote:
Am 13.03.19 um 01:36 schrieb Simon Lees:

If openSUSE is going to offer this as a supported option

What does it bring if openSUSE supports an option? People file
bug reports against packages - and maintainers of those close
them WONTFIX as "send a patch, I don't support this myself".

Personally I don't think people should have to file potentially high severity bugs when it is not hard to prevent developers introducing said bugs in the first place and when fixing a bug will only ever take 1 line ie executing the script in bash rather then /bin/sh it is really not that much to expect them to fix it (currently the review team expects far more in other areas)

So please don't make more out of it as it is - it's not as your
openSUSE salary depends on happy openSUSE users. First of all
to break your system with this,

Well its a good thing my salary depends on happy SLE users instead, but the reality is I care about the quality of openSUSE, and I will call out developers who compromise the quality of openSUSE by taking lazy shortcuts rather then doing things properly.

other shells need to provide
alternatives as well - and it's up to these shells to make
sure their description says DO NOT EXPECT THIS TO WORK IN ALL
USE CASES.

Yep and this is the big fat lazy option. Given the quality our release managers expect of our Tier 1 desktops and even our T2 desktops I don't see how we can include code "That will break in some cases" in the same category, if your only willing to go to that level of excellence keep the code in your home repo. Do you think such code is an acceptable standard for packagehub? personally I don't, and if its not acceptable for packagehub it should not be acceptable for Leap or Tumbleweed.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek) http://simotek.net

SUSE Linux Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30