Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tuesday 2019-03-12 17:23, Neal Gompa wrote:

I can't see a consensus reached in this discussion. Yet, a request to
put /bin/sh under control of update-alternatives is on the way to
Factory. So just creating facts.

That creates a dependency loop, though.

bash already pulled in update-alternatives (at least for build time)
already in some way, so using it seemed more or less free.

I am not sure what you mean by that, but bash can be compiled as "POSIX
compliant". This is e.g. done on Mac OS (where bash is installed as /bin/sh and
where no other POSIX shell is provided by the OS) and on Solaris, where bash is
just installed as /usr/bin/bash (with a symlink /usr -> /usr/bin) and where
bash is just one of many shells.

If you do that, you break all noncompliant scripts that typically make
non-POSIX assumptions on the behavior of the built in "echo" command.

Jörg

--
EMail:joerg@xxxxxxxxxx (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
joerg.schilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (work) Blog: http://schily.blogspot.com/