  • From: Joerg Schilling <Joerg.Schilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2019 11:20:28 +0100
Martin Wilck <mwilck@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

can be tested for compliance. After this change, we have the opposite.
/bin/sh is now a black box that behaves "posix compliant"
in some weakly defined way. Scripts may work, or they may not - no
reliable way to find out.

I doubt that.

Currently, you have some obscure "wisdom" that there is something called "bash"
where nobody is able to tell what features that covers since there is more than
one single release of bash.

If you however write POSIX compliant scripts, you have the grant that in case
there is a problem, you can file a bug against the installed shell.

For me, this looks like a big win.

Jörg

--
EMail:joerg@xxxxxxxxxx (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin