[opensuse-factory] Re: Policy around desktop files for command line applications
On 13/02/2019 02.04, Simon Lees wrote:
Hi All,

Since the dawn of time (well as long as I can be bothered going back) we
have installed joe on most desktop systems via patterns, traditionally
no one has really cared about this except for maybe the few people who
use it, its 1.7Mb after all. That is until the last couple of months
where we have had several questions about it, it turns out this is
mostly because the latest version of joe installs 4 menu items via
.desktop files.

Traditionally in openSUSE unlike some other distro's we haven't had menu
items for console applications currently our guidelines say

"For the purposes of these guidelines, a GUI application is defined as
any application which draws an X window and runs from within that
window."[1]

The gray area we have is how to interpret a desktop file that launches a
commandline app in the terminal of your choice using the "Terminal=true"
at the moment the only other apps on my system that do this without also
having something like noshow set so they don't appear in menus is lftp
and htop.

Installing 4 joe desktop files for every isn't the best user experience
ever so I'll likely remove it from the patterns if it keeps the desktop
files but I don't really mind which or have an opinion on which solution
would be better so I thought i'd open it up for discussion.

Please just remove the desktop files, but leave joe. It is the editor of
choice in text/rescue mode for those of us that can not use vi.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 15.0 x86_64 at Telcontar)