On 12/02/2019 20:09, Martin Wilck wrote:
On Tue, 2019-02-12 at 11:29 +1030, Simon Lees wrote:

Yeah for many larger packages up to 1/3rd of the build time is spent
after make install is finished,

Out of the checks we run, only "post-build-checks" consists of shell
code. rpmlint and rpmlint-mini are python, and brp-check-suse is perl.
And "post-build-checks" script use a "bash" shebang. The same holds for
the "build" package.

So IMO nothing would be gained wrt build checks by changing what
/bin/sh points at. It'd make more sense to review "post-build-checks"
and "build" for bashisms, and possibly use a different, faster shell
for them. That'd be much less review work than doing it for the whole
distro.

Well yeah as I was trying to say while pointing out we spend a
significant time post compilation, so its not just all compile time, we
also don't spend a significant time in these checks. Its all spent in
RPM so no i'm not expecting that we'd speed up these checks by changing
shell, we don't spend enough time running these checks atm for it to be
worth investigating further here unless the stuff is really obvious. For
configure / make / make install there is still more we can investigate
to see if its worth it then we can look at the various options if its
actually worth going forward whether thats different macros or a
different #!/bin/sh

--

Simon Lees (Simotek) http://simotek.net

SUSE Linux Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30