Re: [opensuse-factory] zypper dup disk space requirement
On 2/7/19 6:51 PM, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
07.02.2019 17:39, Bernhard Voelker пишет:

I disagree: as already stated, BTRFS does not expose the right (or useful?)
numbers to the statfs(2) system call

Show kernel code where it does it and explain why the value it
calculates is not right. This also presumes you know how to calculate it
right - did you submit your patch to fix it?

It has been mentioned repeatedly that a user should run 'btrfs filesystem usage
/'
to get the "correct" numbers (whatever they are), and: "df spit out useless
nonsense".
I wouldn't go that far: I don't think the numbers df(1) gets from statfs(2) are
totally wrong, but it is obviously not transparent for the user how to interpret
them in the context of a BTRFS file system, and incidentally such confusions
mostly
happen in critical situations near ENOSPC.

I don't want to (and don't have time to) fix anything in the kernel - especially
wrt/ btrfs - , but I'd be willing to discuss with the other coreutils
maintainers
to add some snippet to the df documentation or on the FAQ page how a user
could interpret BTRFS numbers.
What do these numbers actually tell for BTRFS / and what not?
Or should it just link to

https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/FAQ#Why_is_free_space_so_complicated.3F
?

Have a nice day,