Re: [opensuse-factory] zypper dup disk space requirement
On Thu, 7 Feb 2019 at 10:45, Carlos E. R. <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 07/02/2019 08.32, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
On Wed, Feb 6, 2019 at 4:43 PM Richard Brown <RBrownCCB@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

But, I can't even consider whether your proposition is correct or not,
because you have posted to this list data which is known to be
untrustworthy

The problem is not df vs some better utility to determine available
space. It is that the test by zypper does not account for all the
space that may be needed to complete the update. So updates start and
fail because of lack of disk space.

You are both correct :-)

The btrfs size report tool paints a worse picture than df:

Data, single: total=60.43GiB, used=59.82GiB

There is no space on the disk at all - if I read that correctly, which
perhaps I don't, because I don't understand that command and btrfs.

You didn't read it correctly ;)

"total=" relates to the 'total allocated space' for that class of data (Data)
"used=" related to how much of that space is used

btrfs filesystem usage goes into far more useful detail

For example on my system I have a 444GiB sized device
198GiB is allocated
195GiB is allocated to Data
3GiB is allocated to Metadata
32MiB is allocated to System
The remainder 246GiB is unallocated and can be chosen by btrfs to be
used for Data, Metadata, or System as it needs it.

Inside those 3 buckets I am using
192GiB in Data
1.45GiB in Metadata
48KiB in System

And so, with a bit of math, it's relatively easy to calculate that out
of my 444GiB disk, at least 248GiB is still available.

Might be more, depending on the impact on de-duplication and such.

Rich