Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: Keeping TW installation lean (Tumbleweed snapshot 20190201 released!)
  • From: Pierre de Villemereuil <flyos@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2019 18:45:55 +0100
Hi,

How about, instead, Zypper checks for free space -- that does sound like
a good idea to me -- and if there isn't enough

At least, some clever way to warn users for this, even if no automated solution
is offered would be extremely nice!

may be using download-in-advance option can be tricky on those sparse free
space system, but at least is would have failed before trying to run any
update.

Running Tumbleweed on a small btrfs partition (roughly 20Gb), this is not my
experience. Usually, the system manages to download all packages, but it's when
the installation begins that it usually fails, generally for a big package like
Firefox or the kernel. When I'm unsure about free space, I trigger
--download-as-needed.

For what it's worth (might be useful for others), I had to compress my root
filesystem and set up compression for new files to manage this update on my
small partition. It seems to work well enough (didn't notice strong
sluggishness after multiple reboots) and allowed the update to pass with 20%
free space after that, so a good solution from that perspective. (If this is a
bad advice, please --gently-- yell!).

Cheers,
Pierre.