Re: [opensuse-factory] [PLEASE SPEAK UP] Disabling legacy file systems by default?
On Sat, 2019-02-02 at 00:14 +0100, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
On Wednesday 2019-01-30 19:49, Martin Wilck wrote:
https://github.com/openSUSE/suse-module-tools/pull/5/commits/8cb42fb6658f210cb8c955d584a65f7b041c0575
The question is now whether we should do the same for openSUSE.

The question is whether perhaps autoloading should be inhibited
by
default, and then a distro like SLES can *whitelist* all those
that
likes.

I'm unsure how this would work technically, as there is no
"whitelist"
directive in modprobe.d files, and no blacklisting by wildcard.

Explicit loading via the modules-load.d mechanism, whilst changing
the
kernel (thinking of a sysctl knob) to not call request_module("fs-
%s")
anymore.

That would leave all of us with all the "whitelisted" modules loaded by
default, even those of us who need only one or two filesystems. They'd
even all be in the initrd (all modules-load.d modules go in the initrd,
too).

And about the kernel change - are you serious? That would mean changing
a kernel behavior that has been that way for - I don't know how long,
but I'd guess almost as long as loadable modules for file systems are
supported. It might seriously affect openSUSE's compatibility with
other distributions.

Best,
Martin

--
Dr. Martin Wilck <mwilck@xxxxxxxx>, Tel. +49 (0)911 74053 2107
SUSE Linux GmbH, GF: Felix Imend├Ârffer, Jane Smithard, Graham Norton