[opensuse-factory] Keeping TW installation lean (Tumbleweed snapshot 20190201 released!)
  • From: Axel Braun <axel.braun@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2019 10:24:48 +0100
Morning all,

as we noticed on the weekend, the above snapshot offered a complete rebuild.

While running a zypper dup -dl, at a certain point the system suddenly could
not load any packages, and the KDE desktop kinda crashed. No warning, no
nothing beforehand.

After switching to a terminal, df .h showed that the system partition (43G, as
shown by parted) was full! OK, some local OBS build environments, but
nevertheless. So, removed some btrfs snapshots with snapper, cleaned /tmp and
/var/tmp, reboot and all was fine again.

First point for my wishlist: Let zypper check the available space before
downloading. Download size plus some 10-20% security maybe?

The question remains, why is a simple Laptop installation with KDE taking some
27GB?

I had a look into various directories. First of all, the journal is eating up
some 2.8G
journalctl --vacuum-time=30d
deletes old log files, which freed up 2.4G. Makes probably sense to add a
systemd-timer for this, as it is not touched by sytemd-tmpfiles-clean.

/var/cache/zypp/packages has another 1.8G - may be cleaned as well

In /usr is some 3GB in total, mostly libs, partly in different versions, e.g.
libLLVM.so.5/6/7. Is there a way to determine old/unused libs and remove them?

Another 680 MB is in locale, with many locales installed I will never use. I
guess most of them could be safely removed?

Any other thoughts?

Cheers
Axel

PS: After some clean-up:
T520:/home/docb # btrfs filesystem df /
Data, single: total=34.05GiB, used=23.26GiB
System, single: total=32.00MiB, used=16.00KiB
Metadata, single: total=1.00GiB, used=654.92MiB
GlobalReserve, single: total=74.53MiB, used=0.00B