Re: [opensuse-factory] dozens of unwanted packages !
  • From: Stefan Brüns <stefan.bruens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2019 13:45:26 +0100
On Samstag, 2. Februar 2019 12:38:14 CET H. Merijn Brand wrote:
On Sat, 2 Feb 2019 12:16:15 +0100, Daniele <kailed@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Il 02/02/19 10:32, Jan Engelhardt ha scritto:
xorg-x11.spec:Recommends: xeyes

Guess someone's holding on to the fvwm2+eyes classic desktop.

Xeyes is only an example. xload, xman, xmag, xedit...
Who want to install xorg-x11 ? Why ?

All that use an X11 desktop

And also because of some of these tools :)

Not the ones you mention here, but I use xev on a regular basis

I saw xfontsel on the list, but noted I replaced that with my own
perl/Tk version in 2004, as the xfontsel from x11 isn't that useful

xfs is useful if your co-workers are using Reflection or other X11
clients on Windows that do not have the fonts you have on your Linux
box(es). That makes xfd, xfsinfo and xlsfonts useful too.

xfontsel, xfs and the like are are only useful iff you are still using X11
core fonts. When you are using programs based on GTK (>= 2.0, 1.4?), Qt (>=2),
Tk, wxWidgets (-> GTK2/GTK3) you are *not* using core fonts.

xev is a debugging tool which should not be installed by default (neither as
required nor recommended).

xinput is kinda vital for mapping multiple buttons to the same
functionality, like in

xinput has either to be set up manually, where manually installing it once
should not be too hard, or pulled in as a dependency when a script actually
uses it. No need for a global Requires/Recommends.

Kind regards,

Stefan

--
Stefan Brüns / Bergstraße 21 / 52062 Aachen
home: +49 241 53809034 mobile: +49 151 50412019