Re: [opensuse-factory][PLEASE SPEAK UP] Disabling legacy file systems by default?
On Fri, Feb 01, 2019 at 03:07:27PM -0500, James Taylor wrote:
Perhaps I missed a comment early on in this discussion, but would it
not be reasonable to let someone performing an update know during the
initial phase update when it looks to the existing software to let
them know their file system will not load afterward, and point to the
remedy, should they need it? I am in total agreement with the
comments previously that expressed concerned about someone updating a
perfectly functional system and having it fail without explanation
upon reboot.

I'm quite sure I haven't seen anyone in this discussion questioning
that. Everyone seems to agree that we should do as much as possible to
avoid a risk of someone's system breaking without a warning. In some
parts of this thread, people are discussing which way would be best.

I have run into this enough times to feel comfortable with it being
part of a standard update process.

That's what I have been warning people since the "rolling" distributions
came into fashion. Not distinguishing between updates and upgrades seems
cool for some time but one day you will come to the point where you need
to do some big and incompatible change which is going to break things
without manual intervention and cannot be divided into a series of small
and safe steps. I'm not sure all users of "rolling" distributions
realize the very idea of smooth and safe "rolling" is an illusion.

In this case, there seems to be multiple ways to work around it and
minimize the risk. But what if one day upstream decides to drop support
for some of these systems completely?

Michal Kubecek