Re: [opensuse-factory] [PLEASE SPEAK UP] Disabling legacy file systems by default?
  • From: Peter Suetterlin <pit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2019 12:55:53 +0100
Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 12:35 PM Peter Suetterlin <pit@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Agreed.
But doesn't the module for the root fs get added to the initrd?

You have non-root filesystem in /etc/fstab, after update system drops
in emergency mode on reboot, attempt to manually mount says "unknown
filesystem".

Yes, but at that point you at least have (already) a shell and can fix things
without having to hunt for a rescue system.

In doubt (if
it isn't already done), wouldn't it be sufficient to actively load all those
modules during boot?

It is always sufficient to do things in advance. The problem is to
know what things to do in advance.

I have to admit I do not know how taylored the module selection in the initrd
is, but somehow I assume it (only) contains important/neccessary ones. I.e.,
all of them are supposed to be loaded for the system to work. So IMHO it
would then make sense to force their loading irrespective of any blacklists?