Re: [opensuse-factory] [PLEASE SPEAK UP] Disabling legacy file systems by default?
  • From: dieter <d_werner@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2019 22:42:43 +0100
On Wed, 30 Jan 2019 20:32:41 +0100
Michal Kubecek wrote:

Did you consider users whose systems won't boot after this change?
Sure, one can always boot a rescue system, mount the root filesystem
(as long as the rescue system doesn't share the blacklist, that is),
edit the config file etc. But if something like this happened to me
after an update, I'm pretty sure I would be very angry.

So if we really want to go this way, there should be a big and really
hard to overlook warning on such update to give affected users a
chance to edit the blacklist file before they reboot. Also, make sure
the file is marked as %config(noreplace) so that users who edit it
don't get another nasty surprise later.
Maybe the blacklist file could just be generated during the
installation from a template and not be hard coded in the rpm.

When it is generated it could exclude e.g.
currently loaded modules or file system types with entries in the fstab
from the blacklist.

Something like a
"dynamic-unused-fstype-blacklist-creation-mechanism" -
"similar" to netconfig creation from dhcp response and a mechanism to
detect user changes and leave it untouched in such cases.

Regards,
Dieter