Re: [opensuse-factory] [PLEASE SPEAK UP] Disabling legacy file systems by default?
On Wed, 2019-01-30 at 15:11 -0500, Jeff Mahoney wrote:
On 1/30/19 2:32 PM, Michal Kubecek wrote:
On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 08:15:42PM +0100, Martin Wilck wrote:
I can't speak for Jeff, but I'd say yes. The intention is that
users
who want to use one of these _kernel modules_ have to edit the
modprobe
configuration by hand.

Did you consider users whose systems won't boot after this change?
Sure,
one can always boot a rescue system, mount the root filesystem (as
long
as the rescue system doesn't share the blacklist, that is), edit
the
config file etc. But if something like this happened to me after an
update, I'm pretty sure I would be very angry.

So if we really want to go this way, there should be a big and
really
hard to overlook warning on such update to give affected users a
chance
to edit the blacklist file before they reboot. Also, make sure the
file
is marked as %config(noreplace) so that users who edit it don't get
another nasty surprise later.

Yes, this definitely needs some sort of release note or other way to
inform the user during update.

The problem is, our tools aren't particularly good at that. For users
who update using YaST, we could create an "EULA". For users who upgrade
with zypper or even plain rpm, there's no such thing. All we can do is
print a warning in a %post script, which is generally frowned upon
AFAIR.

So maybe the previously proposed idea to automagically generate a
"whitelist" file from currently mounted file systems at installation
time is the best we can do. That should cover all file systems that
the system at hand needs to boot.

Regards
Martin

--
Dr. Martin Wilck <mwilck@xxxxxxxx>, Tel. +49 (0)911 74053 2107
SUSE Linux GmbH, GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Graham Norton