Re: [opensuse-factory] [PLEASE SPEAK UP] Disabling legacy file systems by default?
On 1/30/19 2:32 PM, Michal Kubecek wrote:
On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 08:15:42PM +0100, Martin Wilck wrote:

I can't speak for Jeff, but I'd say yes. The intention is that users
who want to use one of these _kernel modules_ have to edit the modprobe
configuration by hand.

Did you consider users whose systems won't boot after this change? Sure,
one can always boot a rescue system, mount the root filesystem (as long
as the rescue system doesn't share the blacklist, that is), edit the
config file etc. But if something like this happened to me after an
update, I'm pretty sure I would be very angry.

So if we really want to go this way, there should be a big and really
hard to overlook warning on such update to give affected users a chance
to edit the blacklist file before they reboot. Also, make sure the file
is marked as %config(noreplace) so that users who edit it don't get
another nasty surprise later.

Yes, this definitely needs some sort of release note or other way to
inform the user during update.

-Jeff

--
Jeff Mahoney