Re: [opensuse-factory] Yast (and some console programs) not correctly displaying
  • From: Martin Herkt <lachs0r@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2019 11:17:05 +0100
On Friday, January 18, 2019 12:34:05 PM CET Rainer Hantsch wrote:
Hello, Josef.

The situation you describe lead me into using everywhere iso-8859-1/15. This
incoding is closest to DOS codepage, a 1-Byte charset, and causing no
troubles when interacting with microcontrollers (also usually only using
8-Bit charsets).
For me "UTF8 everywhere" would be an odyssee. I would have to implement UTF8
into microcontrollers with a few k of ROM (a no-go), or everywhere
implement a translation. It is lots easier to have everywhere 8859-1 in
use.

But UTF-8 is compatible with ASCII as well. There should be no issues as long
as you don’t do anything silly like adding a BOM to the start of each file.
Also, implementing support for handling basic UTF-8 (as opposed to full
Unicode support) is in fact trivial. Remember it was conceived in a time when
what you describe as a microcontroller might well have been a PC.
< Previous Next >