Re: [opensuse-factory] Yast (and some console programs) not correctly displaying
On 18/01/2019 11.58, Rainer Hantsch wrote:
Hello, Carlos.

Older versions of YaST showes so massive distortions that it was close to
unreadable on a plain text console. In last versions of openSuSE this became
better, it is now reduced to what you (Carlos) actually described. So it can
be used, but it does not appear 100% correctly (compared to a system using
the
default UTF8 settings.

I'm afraid you will have to report each occurrence on a system that is
currently under support, like 15.* or TW.

It is too late for 42.* or older.

I also see (i.e. during updates with zypper) that the progress line is
showing
sometimes a 2-byte character (two wrong characters instead of one correct
char). Zypper - I *guess* - will use the same libraries as Yast?

Not curses, I guess, just "plain text".

(Also I am not sure about what will happen if I connect some of my serial
terminals. In this case we are somewhere between VT100/VT220 and ANSI
terminal, but again far away from UTF8 ability. I only want to point out how
important it is to solve this bug.)

When I use old software that is not UTF aware, like would be serial
tools, then I open that xterm I mentioned on the other post, so that it
works as expected. However, if it writes filenames, they may look
incorrect on other tools. That's expected.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 15.0 x86_64 at Telcontar)